Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Complete noob to printers and printing.

gbowen

Canton, US
1111 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Complete noob to printers and printing."

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011
Fri 28-Dec-12 02:49 PM

>Before we can give you some useful suggestions we need to
>know your parameters/expectations. What do you want to print?
>Color, B&W, using fine art matte papers or photo papers?
>Portraits or nature scenes, both? What sizes, what sort of
>volume are you anticipating? Is archival ink important to you?
>Do you want a dedicated photo printer or an all-in-one?

For me it's tough to say, because I don't know what I don't know! Well, I guess I'll take a stab at it anyway.

I want to do both color and B&W, mostly portraits. I will probably keep it simple at first, going with photo paper. As for sizes I would think standard 8x10 and 11x14. I may do a little nature now and then, but at first I am going to concentrate on portrait work. As for work flow, I would say not much at first anyway. Once I get some experience under my belt I may do more. A lot depends on my budget of course.

I don't know about archival ink, so for now I would say no.

I would want a dedicated photo printer as I already have a printer for normal printing duties.

I suppose a printer that has features that can grow with my style would be desirable.

George

A general, generic topic Complete noob to printers and printing. [View all] , gbowen Gold Member , Fri 28-Dec-12 12:53 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Complete noob to printers and printing.