Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Coolscan V scans not good.

RABaker

Sunnyvale, US
731 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Coolscan V scans not good."

RABaker Registered since 01st Oct 2003
Fri 07-Dec-12 01:58 AM | edited Fri 07-Dec-12 02:02 AM by RABaker

Simon,

I think Mike was asking about what software you are using to scan/capture the images (rather than what editing software you use). Are you using Nikon Scan that came with the scanner, or something else? Mike mentioned SilverFast scanning software, and that was the program I ended up using for the last couple of years of scanning. It is a very good package (probably the best, in my opinion) but it also has a bit of a learning curve and you need to know something about what you are doing to get the most out of it. If you reach a point where you feel the scanning software you are currently using is not adequate for the task, I can highly recommend SilverFast.

It would help us if we could see an example or two of your scanned images. Can you post a couple here (or in your Nikonians gallery)?

I scanned film (both negatives and slides) for several years before I got my first DSLR, although I have not scanned very many images in recent times. I do recall that there was a considerable learning curve with scanning images. So much so that after a couple of years I went back and re-scanned some of my favorite images in order to have better files (with more image data from the original film) after I had learned better techniques. If you don't want to do much post-processing, you will need to learn how to tweak the scanning program parameters to achieve a better optimized scan file -- pre-processing instead of post-processing.

There are several things that could cause the issue you have described, and to try to explain them could easily fill a chapter or two in a book. Just to give some idea of where to look, check into using your scanning software to adjust levels, curves, contrast, sharpening and also look at the ICC color profiles (and color management in general). I recommend that you find articles or books that cover the basics of scanning images. The scanner and software manuals are fine for describing what controls are available, but very seldom cover how and when to use them. Here are two references to the kind of book I have in mind:
http://www.amazon.com/Scanning-Negatives-Slides-Digitizing-Photographic/dp/193395230X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1354848216&sr=1-1&keywords=scanning+film
http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Digital-Scanning-Slides-Transparencies/dp/1592001416/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1354848216&sr=1-2&keywords=scanning+film
I have not used either of these books, but the old one I have seems to be unavailable now.

Good luck,
Richard

This is a hot, active topic! Coolscan V scans not good. [View all] , Shy Talk Silver Member , Tue 04-Dec-12 08:39 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Coolscan V scans not good.