Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Extreme Hazing of Glazing in Exhibit Print - Questions

JECoutre

Concord, US
375 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Extreme Hazing of Glazing in Exhibit Print - Questions"

JECoutre Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2008
Mon 19-Nov-12 12:49 AM | edited Mon 19-Nov-12 12:53 AM by JECoutre

Thank you Ernesto for a quick response. By inference it would seem then the Mat media with MK ink would suffer the same fate. So, the prints under these display environmental conditions will be viewed as disposable. As such no need for the UV glass (I never sell a displayed unit).

It does seem to me that the dark/black inks absorb more energy (reaching higher temperatures) driving off more solvents than the other colors. The haze was indeed yellow on the cloths used to clean the inside of the UV coated glass … I hope that the thin UV coating layer on the inside of the TruVue glass was not removed by the glass cleaner despite it not being ammonia based as TruVue cautions.

BTW, the first set of images in that harsh direct sun framed in the same fashion had only a slight haze in the darkest sections after more than 6 months. This group developed very serious haze in ~3 weeks. Reviewing my printer log, all except one print in this group had out gassed ~2 weeks and that one only three days, however the hazing was on all prints in the darker print sections. The difference between the groups though was I had not applied Premier Art’s Print Shield UV Lacquer on all this last group of prints (a first time of not coating). So, perhaps an additional benefit of using Print Shield!
Jim

A topic tagged as having a question Extreme Hazing of Glazing in Exhibit Print - Questions [View all] , JECoutre Gold Member , Sun 18-Nov-12 01:24 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Extreme Hazing of Glazing in Exhibit Print - Questi...