Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

A great color primer

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: A great color primer"

Gator Bob Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jul 2006
Fri 19-Oct-12 02:43 PM | edited Fri 19-Oct-12 02:53 PM by Gator Bob

>There are very valid reasons for choosing to to shoot and process in JPEG format through out a complete workflow for many people.

I do "save as" jpegs to produce images for viewing on monitors, including emails. Also, jpegs do speed processing of large numbers of images. I'm no color expert and I rarely shoot large numbers of images, but I've never shot jpeg, only raw, and I always do at least minimal post processing with Photoshop. Nikonian instructors tell their classes that they almost always shoot raw. AFAIK, only Ken Rockwell -- who says he always pre-sets his camera menus for maximum oversaturation -- claims to shoot almost only jpeg.

>And one of the most important thing he leaves out when
>outputting files for the viewing on a monitor of any kind - If
>you are outputting files in Adboe RGB or ProPhoto RGB make
>sure to include the color profile. For general usege sRGB
>would be the preferred format unless you know who will be
>viewing your images.

As you suggest, sRGB generally is recommended as the most flexible format to work with. I believe Ming Thein is talking about his suggested setting for high-quality printing.

Gator Bob Santa Fe New Mexico
*D800E *D700 *SB800 *RRS TVC-24L
Nikkors: *14-24 *70-200 VRII *T-20E III *50 f/1.8 *PC-E 85 *28-300
Tamron: * 90mm Macro *

A general, generic topic A great color primer [View all] , Gator Bob Silver Member , Thu 18-Oct-12 07:37 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: A great color primer