Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

A great color primer

Clint S

Chula Vista, US
460 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: A great color primer"

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011
Fri 19-Oct-12 07:30 AM

There are quite few misleading and incorrect comments in the blog post. So I would not use the post as gospel about color.

A couple of examples
"avoid shooting JPEG unless you absolutely have no choice" - There are very valid reasons for choosing to to shoot and process in JPEG format through out a complete workflow for many people.

"(A non-compressed JPEG is effectively a TIFF or bitmap)". - Misleading: For most people the ability to use a non-compressed JPEG format is not possible, most software does not support non-compressed JPEG. Even a 100% quality JPEG in most software is a lossy compressAdditionallyoanly there are several types of TIFF formats.

And one of the most important thing he leaves out when outputting files for the viewing on a monitor of any kind - If you are outputting files in Adboe RGB or ProPhoto RGB make sure to include the color profile. For general usege sRGB would be the preferred format unless you know who will be viewing your images.

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic A great color primer [View all] , Gator Bob Silver Member , Thu 18-Oct-12 07:37 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: A great color primer