Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
RABaker

Sunnyvale, US
731 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Scanner Math"

RABaker Registered since 01st Oct 2003
Thu 18-Oct-12 07:07 AM

Don,

I scanned negatives and slides for several years before I got my first DSLR. Here are a few points that I think may be relevant to your goals:
- If you scan 35mm film/slides at 3200 ppi that is sufficient resolution to make a quality print up to about 8x10 (8x12?) or a little larger. If you know you will not print larger than 5x7, then scanning at 2400 ppi will be more than enough resolution.
- If you want to print the image even larger than 8x10/8x12, it is probably worthwhile to scan at higher resolution like 4800 or 6400 ppi. rather than scanning at 3200 ppi and upsizing the file in image editing software. Note that scanning at 4800 or 6400 ppi will work best with fine grain films.
- In order to get the most image information into the file, so that you will have the most options for later processing, scanning at the highest bit depth is desirable. However, going from a 24-bit scan (8 bits per channel) to a 48-bit scan (16 bits per channel) will increase the file sizes significantly. You need to decide whether having more information in the file to work with in post processing is worth the larger file sizes. Large file sizes will not only take up more storage space, they *may* also slow down your image editing software and result in you having to spend more time at the computer - depends on your computer speed and how much memory it has.
- Unlike a dedicated film scanner, the V700 cannot focus its lens on the film being scanned (I have a V750 which is similar). The film strip holder raises the film above the scanner glass and the lens is adjusted automatically for this shift. However, film is often not really flat and it may be necessary to adjust the spacing above the glass to get the best focus - check your V700 manual about how to do this. Unfortunately, if the film is not spaced correctly to allow for a good focus any resulting print will be lower quality than it could be (somewhat unsharp).
- Learn to use the histogram in your scanning software so that you capture all the information from the image that you can without wasting any of the scanner's dynamic range.

Just to relate a small piece of my scanning experience: Scanning has a pretty steep learning curve at first. It does level out to some degree but I was still learning how to improve my scans after 6 years. I found that some of my favorite images, many of the ones that I chose to scan first, I re-scanned later and was able to improve both the scan quality and the printed output. Don't be surprised if the scanning process goes slowly at first - it will speed up (at least to some extent) when you get more experience. But also don't be surprised if you find that after a while you want to go back and repeat some earlier scans.

Good luck,
Richard

A topic tagged as in need of help Scanner Math [View all] , Bug Gold Member , Wed 10-Oct-12 01:58 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Scanner Math