Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Epson 3880 Versus Epson R1900

esantos

McAllen, US
13230 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Epson 3880 Versus Epson R1900"

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002
Wed 28-Mar-12 03:18 PM | edited Wed 28-Mar-12 03:23 PM by esantos

Hi Hedley,

For starters the R1900 is discontinued. The replacement is the R2000. Advancements over the R1900 are WiFi capability, larger ink cartridges (Epson claims you get 50% more printing capacity than the R1900), and better screening technology. I can see your dilemma here - with the 3880 at such a great price right now it is a tough decision.

Just last night I was testing some papers for an upcoming review to be posted here in a few weeks. Specifically I was using my 3880 and R1900 for these tests. At this point the R1900 is seeing very little use simply because I have three other printers (all pro models) that can handle just about anything you can throw at them. Well, it was nice to see again last night why I had given the R1900 such good marks before. The prints I made last night compared very well against the 3880. I'm going to say that Epson's printers that use the Ultrachrome Hi-Gloss 2 inks (currently the R2000) are just as good as what you get with the Ultrachrome K3 w/VM inks with glossy and luster media. With high gloss papers I would still say the Hi-Gloss 2 has a slight edge if you use the gloss optimizer. With Luster papers they are toe-to-toe, and with matte papers I would still prefer the K3 inks. Both printers are well built and in my case operate flawlessly. If you plan to print on matte papers and want the 17" width then the 3880 is the obvious choice. But if you are going to use glossy papers predominantly then the R2000 is the way to go especially if you want to squeeze every last bit of performance from your glossy papers.

BTW, the papers I am currently testing are not Epson papers and one in particular is a high gloss film. The print I made last night with this media was outstanding.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography
Get my new e-Book "Churches of Texas"

A general, generic topic Epson 3880 Versus Epson R1900 [View all] , hwdx347 , Wed 28-Mar-12 10:38 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Epson 3880 Versus Epson R1900