Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

My apologies to Epson and the R1800 Printer

Bug

Michigan, US
237 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"My apologies to Epson and the R1800 Printer"

Bug Gold Member Nikonian since 06th Mar 2007
Tue 27-Mar-12 03:20 AM

My apologies to Epson for saying that the R1800 is problem printer!

Some of you might remember me and my ranting and raving over the last 8+ months regarding serious printing problems with my Epson R1800 printer. None of the normal color management recommendations and fixes seem to work for me.

Many of the Nikonian member suggested that I step way back and document my printing process. So I decided to start with the printer and work backwards.

To make a very long story short, I paid an authorized Epson repair dealer to looking at my print ($85). They ran a few cleaning cycles, (I did this dozens of times) but overall they found nothing wrong with my R1800 printer. They included a test page printed on plain paper with perfect skin tones, colorful flowers, and a color scale (PERFECT). That was worth $85 know the printer was good and the problem was me or software drivers.

I re-connected the printer at home, printed a simple jpg photo using the windows vista print command, same problems! Same major color errors!!!@$^$#% lots of bad words!

So I began document the next step in controling my printing process. What drivers were used, where the drivers are located, and if I had the latest version? The more I read on the Epson website the more I saw issues with vista and special drivers were also needed for windows vista.

Many of you also suggested that I upgrade to Windows 7, so with the help of Dell software support, I tried to install Windows 7, 32 bit. After three install crashes, Dell found that the windows 7 error code pointed to a“network” driver. I would have never solved this without Dell software support. They deleted the network driver and windows 7 was completely installed without any further problems.

The first thing I did with Windows 7 was to print a test jpg file and the R1800 printer output was GREAT, OUTSTANDING. The color management controls work GREAT for both CNX2 and Elements 9 software control or just using the Epson R1800 color management controls.

I’m not sure how a “network driver” could cause all those problems, because my printer was connected to my desktop computer using the recommended fire wire (IEEE 1394) Cable.

A good friend wanted me to “nuke and pave” with windows 7, 64 bit, but I wanted to use Dell’s software support and they recommended 32 bit first and then we can move to the 64 bit in a couple weeks.

Over all this was an insane project for me! ,and I really really really appreciate all the “GREAT” support / suggestions from the Nikonian members, I have learned a lot about printing and color management, Calibration using both software control vs. printer controls.

I’m still very confused where all the drivers are stored in both Epson directories and those drivers located in the windows print test page system sub-directories drivers, but that is another day and I need to get back to using my D200.

I sure hope that someone else benefits from all my crazy postings, what a hobby!!!!!

Don in Michigan

A general, generic topic My apologies to Epson and the R1800 Printer [View all] , Bug Gold Member , Tue 27-Mar-12 01:20 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: My apologies to Epson and the R1800 Printer