Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Shipping a matted, mounted 13x19 inch print?

dralph

Elmira, US
288 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Shipping a matted, mounted 13x19 inch print?"

dralph Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Jul 2006
Sun 18-Mar-12 01:56 AM

Too late!

I shipped the package UPS on Thursday, and it is half way to South Dakota right now. The empirical test is in progress.

The packaging I chose is essentially three things.

A sealed plastic bag designed to hold a matted 13"x19" photo page on an 18"x24" foam core backer.

I cut 1" thick foam insulation board into three pieces, to become a sandwich. The middle piece has a hole cut out just a smidgen larger than the print. On either side of print are two pieces of ordinary foam core board about the same size. There are a handful of styrofoam peanuts placed to keep the print from shifting.

Two of the foam insulation pieces are glued completely around. The third, front piece if you will, is only glued along the bottom edge and a small way up either side. Pulling the top away is not glued to allow opening.

Roughly two inch wide tape for sealing moving boxes is strapped around the entire sandwich, and along the top and bottom edges.

I had a used cardboard box, which had been used to send me mounting supplies from a framing company. I had to cut down length of the 3" thick foam sandwich to fit inside the box.

The cardboard box is about 8 or 9 inches thick. Four balls of wadded up brown kraft paper space out the foam sandwich from the front and back cardboard walls. They are designed to allow absorption of side impacts without transmitting it directly to the foam sandwich inside. I wish could say the same for the sandwich edges which are wedged against the inside of the cardboard box.

I think this may be the last large mounted print that I send for a while.

I had thought about risking just the foam sandwich, taped up to a fare thee well, with a carrier. But, I began to envision the foam taking a beating. Omaha Steaks gets away with taped styrofoam boxes. But, they can easily send another for the few that get banged up.

Dave Ralph

A general, generic topic Shipping a matted, mounted 13x19 inch print? [View all] , dralph Silver Member , Sun 04-Mar-12 04:02 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Shipping a matted, mounted 13x19 inch print?