Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Hardware problem with Nikon Coolscan V ED?

henbo

Tistrup, DK
1810 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"Hardware problem with Nikon Coolscan V ED?"

henbo Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2004
Sun 22-Jan-12 04:12 PM

Recently I have been scanning a lot of my old photos, using my Nikon Coolscan V (LS-50 ED).
When using the scanner there have always been posted error messages occasionally, so I stopped worrying about that a few years ago.
Within the last two weeks the scanner reported a hardware error, but I didn't take much notice of that as this has happened before without being a problem.

Now I realize that my scanning results got noticebly worse within the last two weeks. When using ICE the details in the highlight more or less disappears.

After the problem occured, I tried to disassemble the scanner and to clean the internal mirror for dust, but that didn't sort my problem.

I have tried to make three different scan, one without ICE, one with ICE set to normal (which is the setting I use as standard for slides) and one with ICE set to fine (which I seldom use).

Below are the samples, please notice these are quite big files!

Without ICE:

Click on image to view larger version

ICE set to normal:

ICE set to fine:

If anyone has experienced something similar I would appreciate knowing about your way of solving the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Henning

My Nikonians gallery:
Landscape | Wildlife | Macro | Portrait | Sport
Travel: | Greenland | Iceland |

A general, generic topic Hardware problem with Nikon Coolscan V ED? [View all] , henbo Silver Member , Sun 22-Jan-12 03:12 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Hardware problem with Nikon Coolscan V ED?