New webinar coming up: Best of Nikonians annual review, 28-MAR-2024 4PM EST (for all members on Silver level and higher) >>> More info

X

Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Question about converting and processing raw images

robsb robsb

Is from: Napa, US
17416 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Question about converting and processing raw images"

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous effor... Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2017 Donor Ribbon awarded for the contribution to the 2016 campaign Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Fri 24-Apr-15 03:10 PM | edited Fri 24-Apr-15 03:11 PM by robsb
Yolanda you received very good responses to your questions, but I would like to add just a bit more information and will try to do it in as easy a way that I can. I am also going to give you an answer that uses what Nikon software you currently have with the understanding that Nikon no longer supports CNX2 but it will work with the equipment you already have.

"I'm a little confused on what is meant to convert or process a raw image."
My first comment to you is be sure that you have the very latest versions of View NX2 and Capture NX2- you can download them from the Nikon USa site. Transfer, now a part of View NX2 does just what it says it takes images from your memory card and moves it to your computer. You can select what folder you want to put it in and even rename the images if you want. I actually move 2 copies which you can do. One to my Transfer folders on my PC and a second copy that I never touch to another back up drive. This way a have a copy of the NEF that is never touched. The terms "Convert" and "Process" have different meanings. You can take a pristine NEF or a "Processed" NEF and convert it to a number of outputs, JPEGs, Tiffs, DNG, etc. Capture NX2 is a powerful RAW processor that allows you to edit or "process" your NEFs. It is non destructive in that it never changes the RAW data but saves edit steps you make as a list of instructions that are applied to the NEF when you convert it to another format. CNX2 is unique in that it stores those edit steps right in the NEF. Nikons NX-D no longer does that and stores edit steps in a separate sidecar file. CNX2 also updates the embedded JPEG that is in every NEF with your edits as well. CNX2, View NX2 and NX-D are the only post processing programs that actually read and apply the actual Nikon Camera Settings from your camera to the file also as a set of instructions applied on conversion. Because if this and the fact that any programs edit steps are unseen by other programs edit steps. If you open a Nikon NEF in Photoshop or Lightroom, they cannot see the camera settings nor your edit steps so they will show an unedited RAW image which will not look like what you sawe on the back of your camera. They can be edited to look like that though. If you don't convert your NEF you can still see all the edits applied in the Nikon SW. Other softweare may or may not show the edited embedded JPEG,

"What if I decide I want to actually make changes to the raw image. Should I make those changes directly on the file and save? Is that what it means to "process" the image? Now if I want to actually print the image, or post it in a blog, then I assume I need to convert to JPEG first? Is that right? And are the changes I made to the raw file reversible? "

Since you are using CNX2 it will store all your edit steps directly into the NEF. It will not change the RAW date but will apply all the edit steps stored in the NEF and apply them to the conversion you make of the NEF, The beauty of this process is anytime in the future it you decide that you would like to change an edit step in your NEF with CNX2 you just open the NEF, edit tie edit steps and save it back to the NEF.

Generally to "process an image" means to do a number of edit steps to improve that image. If you follow the processing steps in CNX2 you would like at such things as White Balance, Picture Controls, Noise Reduction, Sharpening, Use of Control Points, Curves, etc. Adjusting each as necessary until you like the final output. Not all steps are required each time. The reason you use RAW is it is non destructive, and the number of bits of data are many fold more than an 8 bit JPEG which if you edited that could wind up showing nasty artifacts.

If you have any more questions or want clarifications on what I said feel free to contact me. I consider myself an advanced user of CNX2 and Photoshop. I do not use Lightroom, so I cannot answer any questions you would have there. In general all post processing software will essentially touch the same edit steps but will do them differently and even store the results differently. An expert in one or another post processor will generally be able to produce the same results from a file that another expert using another post processor can do. People tend to gravitate to the tool that they are most comfortable with that gives them the results that they need. In any case Lightroom is a choice but is not essential to produce a good post processed image. The key is to learn the tool you have and understand what a proper workflow is to post process an image trying to do the very least effort that gets the results you want.

I hope this was helpful.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!
Old age is a special gift that very few receive. Be thankful if you get it.

A general, generic topic Question about converting and processing raw images [View all] , gen , Thu 23-Apr-15 04:43 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Question about converting and processing raw images