New webinar coming up: Best of Nikonians annual review, 28-MAR-2024 4PM EST (for all members on Silver level and higher) >>> More info

X

Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

A workflow from capture to the final backups

FredB D3 FredB D3

Is from: Indialantic, US
1499 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: A workflow from capture to the final backups"

FredB D3 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2008
Sun 09-Mar-14 02:27 PM
>Fred, you can download and use a fully functioning copy of
>Photo Mechanic and use it free for a full month. You'll know
>if it will help you by then. From what I heard at the local
>Teton Photography Group meeting, Photo Mechanic is also
>supposed to be good at adding keywords.

Hi Mike,

I downloaded PM yesterday and tried to use it. I'll need to play around with it a bit. No, quite a bit. The main reason I am iterested in the software is the relative immediacy of full-resolution files for review. It does seem quite fast with JPEG, not so much with RAW files, but still reasonably fast. The problems I had are first, removing a file. While a warning advises it will send the file to the trash, it doesn't; the file is still in its folder. Second, the ingest seems to be very limited in how far down a hierarchy of folders it can drill to which to copy a file. Maybe I am missing something here. The third is with regard to file naming. I suppose I can find a way of naming my images that matches my naming convention by developing a custom template. That I will need to play with quite a bit. As a matter of fact, I'm not even certain I can rename a file using PM!

Meanwhile, until I get the kinks worked out, if I get the kinks worked out, I'll just keep working at it, and when I get tired of that, go back to LR and import the images as I normally would.

Have a few new images today, so it's time to experiment some more.

Fred
Florida, USA

A general, generic topic A workflow from capture to the final backups [View all] , M_Jackson , Fri 07-Mar-14 09:56 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: A workflow from capture to the final backups