Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Mobile Rig used for Law Enforcement Photography ...

JBS101

Canberra, AU
594 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Mobile Rig used for Law Enforcement Photography ..."

JBS101 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Apr 2009
Mon 27-Feb-12 08:10 PM

Hi Hal,

I have had a closer look at your rig, and I do have a few questions.

What is the wingnut thingy at the top of the tripod pedestal?

You are set up for occasional use of a second camera. How and why would you mount two at once? Is it about lens combinations or is there some other reason?

I need to get a ball head for my tripod. You have moved from Manfrotto to RRS. If your budget was tighter, could you have gotten by with a second Manfrotto head?

What is the voltage of the battery? Can the notebook accept that raw voltage or is there a transformer somewhere in the rig?

The rig as photographed looks a little low. Do you get more height just by raising the pedestal or do you extend the legs?

I don't use Pocket Wizards, but I did quite a bit of work with mobile radio systems in the Army. When you have the camera in portrait mode, does the orientation of the PW antenna cause any reception problems with the remotes? I would have thought the signal would be quite directional and cause issues with remotes to the sides of the camera. Equally though, the output of the PW might be sufficient at the sorts of working distances you appear to be using.

Any plans for a new camera; D4 or D800?

Regards,

John

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! Mobile Rig used for Law Enforcement Photography ... [View all] , HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 , Sat 25-Feb-12 11:56 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Mobile Rig used for Law Enforcement Photography ...