Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Cloudy Day Color Photography: Panama Canal

HBB

Phoenix, US
8774 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Cloudy Day Color Photography: Panama Canal"

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Charter Member
Thu 22-Dec-11 10:07 PM

Mel:

Thanks for your comments. Alwaus nice to hear from you. The two vantage points offered from the owner's suite are unmatched. I highly recommend it for anyone interested in getting unobstructed images. I was told that the upper decks were crowded four and five deep much of the time, with people pushing and shoving to get near the front rail.

I always get a kick out of the number of people taking pictures of objects hundreds of feet away with their cell phones and P/S cameras and firing the flash units. In the pre-digital P/S camera days, Kodak loved these people who were using the old Flash Cube technology with the mechanical igniter. How times and technology have changed.

There were on-shore authorities all over the place, smiling and waving as we passed through the locks at both ends. There were apparently no restrictions concerning photography. I have no idea if there is any form of inspection of the 40,000 ships from all over the world passing through the canal every year. I suspect it is largely a matter of trust. A terrorist event that disables the locks at either end of the canal would produce immediate and enormous political and financial problems on a global scale.

Your post in this thread appeared while I was composing my reply to Mathew, Mike and Mick, wherein I mentioned the WB encryption issue. Thanks for your input. I am probably becoming compulsive/obsessive over this issue ... but am curious enough to pursue it for a while longer.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

This is a hot, active topic! Cloudy Day Color Photography: Panama Canal [View all] , HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 , Wed 21-Dec-11 08:17 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Cloudy Day Color Photography: Panama Canal