Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

The Appalachian Trail

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10538 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: The Appalachian Trail"

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Thu 15-Sep-11 11:24 AM

John provided a good description of hiking the AT. There are some great views, but there are also plenty of other things to photograph.

My brother hiked the trail end to end starting in Georgia and ending in Maine five months later. The Georgia end is particularly difficult due to elevation changes and your lack of real conditioning at that stage. Weather is unpredictable - during the first month he got a week of rain followed by being snowed in for two weeks.

Weight is everything for that much hiking. My brother would mail ahead sections of paperback books to save weight.

Black bears are not a problem as long as you take care with food. They are certainly not aggressive. I've never seen a rattlesnake on the trail - you need to watch your step in some places but they are truly uncommon and reclusive.

Safety is not really an issue and you certainly would not want to carry a gun. It's too heavy to add the weight. And guns are illegal in some places on the trail like the Smokies.

Hikers end up meeting others on the trail and developing friendships. It's a great experience to even hike sections of the trail.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

A general, generic topic The Appalachian Trail [View all] , pjr , Tue 13-Sep-11 09:08 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: The Appalachian Trail