Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Sinister forces force us...

vfnewman

Forest, US
4325 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Sinister forces force us..."

vfnewman Awarded for his multiple contributions to Resources Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Basic Member
Sun 03-Sep-00 05:21 PM

The dissertation above is outstanding. As a mechanical engineer, motorhead, former employee of GM, and now working in commercial power industry, I am familiar with just about every concept presented.

The only thing I didn't see that I think is important in this context is (hoo boy, I hope I can remember this one correctly) the Carnot efficiency. A scientist named Carnot did a great deal of research into thermodynamics. He proved that the most efficiency one can obtain from a thermal cycle (and that means gasoline or diesel engine, a steam turbine, a Stirling engine, etc) has to do with the ratio of the hottest to coldest temperatures that cycle operates between. Given the temperature-limited structural properties of modern materials, the most any heat engine can accomplish is a little better than 30% efficiency. If you look at the latent energy in a gallon of gas, take one third of that, and compare that to the power required to propel a car of nominal weight at 60 mph, you will see quickly that 200 mpg really is almost impossible. All the stories of the '70 about the "200 mpg carburetors" are myths, IMNSHO, ESPECIALLY given the weight and (abysmal) aerodynamic of cars of that era.

Victor Newman

My Nikonians Gallery

www.nikonians.org - Worldwide Home for Nikon Photographers

A general, generic topic Sinister forces force us... [View all] , bgs Administrator One of the two c-founders, expert in several areas Awarded for his valuable Nikon product reviews at the Resources , Sat 02-Sep-00 05:13 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Sinister forces force us...
Reply message Just act natural, they're looking!
Reply message RE: Just act natural, they're looking!
Reply message RE: Just act natural, she is looking!
     Reply message Mexico city UFO's
     Reply message RE: Mexico city UFO's
     Reply message OVNI's
          Reply message RE: OVNI's
          Reply message The Burnelli link