Fri 12-Jul-02 10:29 PM | edited Wed 11-Mar-15 02:18 AM by jrp
In order to avoid any confusion on how, what, and how many images to post, we have clarified the instructions.
We have recently revised images posting policy for this website. Please understand, this is not done in order to make a profit. The costs of maintaining this community are high and most of the funding is made through private means. We now require anyone who wants to post images to the pictures forums be at least a "Silver Member". This is a small price to pay (less than 7 cents/day) for the knowledge and feedback that is available to you in this community.
I would like to thank all who have supported the community by becoming paying members. It is much appreciated.
A. POSTING LINKS TO IMAGES, UPLOADING AND ATTACHING IMAGES 1. The posting of images to our forums is a privilege we grant members as our way to thank those who currently contribute to our operations costs in amounts of or above 25 USD for "Silver Membership" We must nevertheless ask you to be judicious in regards to quantity, size and frequency of photo posts. All registered members may post topics and link to their photographs at other sites, but we ask all to abide by the same guidelines as if posted at Nikonians directly.
2. Do not post images not made by a Nikon camera or a Nikon-based hybrid camera. If you want to share images taken with other cameras/formats, these pictures should be posted in the Non-Nikon Camera Systems forum only.
3. Do not post images not belonging to you. Do not create combined images of pictures not belonging to you. Do not post combined pictures where you are not the legal owner. If you want to post an image which was not taken by you (i.e. you do not have the copyright), please ask both the originator and the email@example.com for permission before doing so. Failing to abide to international copyright laws is illegal.
4. Not only traffic is a major cost component, a big number of visitors are not on high speed Internet connections; please help other to view your images by not uploading in the forums more than 3 photos per post message.
5. We have now increased the image size to a maximum of 1,800 pixels on the widest side (for horizontal compositions).
6.There is now a maximum 1000KByte limit to each image posted, and you will get an error message trying to upload any image larger. This makes for a better experience for low speed users and helps keep network traffic costs down. Not all members are connected using fast broadband connections. In fact, a majority of the members are connected using slower modems.
Example sizing process to reach a max of 1000KB from Photoshop 6.0 or higher (similar process in other tools): a. Open your file. b. Image | Image Size Set the longer dimension to 1800 Pixels (if horizontal; to 900 pixels if vertical, to avoid scrolling to see it). c. File Save for Web Options d. Verify file size (or set to below 1000KByte) e. Save as a JPG
7. Do not post your image, or reference/link to your image more than once, i.e. do not repeat your postings or references/links.
8. Whenever you include an image in your postings, it is nice if you include the technical data of the shot, camera, lens, film, etc. so viewers can see what various combinations can produce.
B.HOW TO POST To post your image look at the upper tool bar and click on "Post," the posting page will open. Type your title in the subject window (If you leave the subject window blank you will get an error message when you try to post your message.) Next, type your message in the message window.
C. HOW TO ATTACH AN IMAGE Below the message window you will see an attachment window, just below that you will see "Click here to choose file," click on those words and an upload window will appear. Click on BROWSE and navigate to where ever your images are stored on your computer. Highlight the file you want to upload and double click on it, or you may click on the OPEN button. The file will now appear in the attachment window. At the bottom left hand corner of the upload window, click on the UPLOAD button. Once the file is uploaded you may upload another file or click out of the window.
D.PREVIEWING TO CHECK SPELLING AND ATTACHMENT Your file is now in the attachment window. For your text you may either click on the preview to check for spelling errors, (Your image will not be displayed at this time) or you may click on the "Post Message" button. Here is a neat little "FREE" spell checker that can be installed if you are using MS-Windows Internet Explorer, http://www.iespell.com.
That's it, your done. Easy wasn't it?
Please try to remember to limit your images to 1000Kb and 1,800 pixels on the longest side.
However, if you want your images posted at the forums to be seen by 100% of the current monitors in use by Nikonians members, without scrolling, make your images not taller than 900 pixels, whether vertical or horizontal compositions
Thanks for taking the time to read these instructions, I hope they were of some help to you. If you need further help on how to post images into the forums, please refer to the Wiki FAQ
EMOTICONS Ooops, I almost forgot. To post those little smilies everyone uses, look to the left of the message window, you will see "Smilies look up table" click on it and use which ever one you want. Just type it into your message at the appropriate place and it will appear as a little yellow smiley on your posted message.