Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

My best Eagle shots ever!

dm1dave

Lowden, US
13628 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: My best Eagle shots ever!"

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006
Thu 31-Jan-13 03:41 AM | edited Thu 31-Jan-13 03:44 AM by dm1dave

> “Still wouldn't know how to drive there.”

The access is on the Iowa side about a mile or so south of where interstate 80 crosses the Mississippi.

The weather over the last couple of years is the reason for our low eagle numbers. Also last year the shad (the fish the eagles eat) population was unusually low all along the upper Mississippi. The fish population seems to be strong this year but the temperatures keep jumping up into the 40’s and 50’s and until today we only had one significant snow fall.

In the warm temps the birds just don’t feed as often and with no snow they can find food in the farm fields easier. Eagles are not particularly social birds so they only gather in large numbers at the dams when they need to.

The best shooting is when we have a long period of very cold weather, snow cover and ice on the river above the dams. We have had very little of those conditions for quite a while now.

If it is cold enough the fish going over the dams are stunned by the cold making it easy for the eagles. If it is too warm then this advantage goes away and the eagles will spread out along the river and into the fields.

There are a few of us locals who are a bit worried about people who are walking down stream into a restricted roosting area disturbing the birds. If it gets out of hand the DNR may just ask the Corps of Engineers to close the area where we shoot.

Anyone reading this that goes to the L&D - please stay well upstream of the boat ramp. The best shooting is up on the walkway by the Lock.

Dave Summers
Nikonians Photo Contest Director
My Nikonians Gallery | Current Nikonians Contests

Click on image to view larger version

This is a hot, active topic! My best Eagle shots ever! [View all] , Garen T , Sun 27-Jan-13 09:48 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: My best Eagle shots ever!