Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What is your primary body for wildlife photography?

mkbee1

West Valley, US
664 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: What is your primary body for wildlife photography?"

mkbee1 Registered since 26th Nov 2012
Fri 18-Jan-13 04:21 PM | edited Fri 18-Jan-13 04:51 PM by mkbee1

My primary body is in pretty good shape for its age...73 years old, abut 6 feet tall, 215 pounds, (down from 250 just a few short years ago)and wears bifocals. Ohhhh, woops...you meant CAMERA body?

In my never-humble opinion, ANY of the Nikon digital bodies produced in the last dozen or more years will do excellently for wildlife photography. Some have fewer bells and whistles than others, but all you need for exellent photography of any kind is there!

Now...lenses...that is where it all comes down to.

Let me make a rather sweeping statement. ANY Nikon lens, unless it has had the merrie Aitch beat out of it, will be excellent for wildlife, (Parties or the kind with a leg at each corner!) with the nod given to telephotos. The "consumer" 200 mms will do much more than most folks give them credit for. F/2.8 is not irrelevant, but with adjustable ISO, F3.5-4.5 is not much of a handicap,if any at all!

Newer features just make it more convenient to use. I met a guy at Yellowstone Park, who was the photographer of a pro football team for 10-15 years,and he was using his old 400 mm (F/4.5?) manual-focus lens on some flavor of DSLR body.

Would I love to own one of the "big guns",like the 300mm F/4, 70-200 f/2.8, or the new f/4 version? O MY Yes! But, my 20-year old 70-210 AF did marvelously well until I got the 70-300VR, which also does beautifully.

Funniest thing...I find that I use it at 200mm or less most of the time...hmmmm...maybe a lesson in there, somewhere, if I could only figure out what it is.

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A topic tagged as a poll/survey What is your primary body for wildlife photography? [View all] , Jim Pearce Silver Member , Fri 18-Jan-13 12:26 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: What is your primary body for wildlife photography?
Reply message Hmm...sounds like the superb 400mm f3.5 to me...
     Reply message Rick, Larry...
          Reply message Nikon body for birds/wildlife
     Reply message Yeah, only 6 choices...
          Reply message Choosing between speed and reach sucks!
          Reply message E: What is your primary body for wildlife photography?
               Reply message RE: E: What is your primary body for wildlife photograp...