Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Question about the Fuji X10

Floridian

Tallahassee, Florida, US
2948 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Question about the Fuji X10"

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007
Thu 20-Sep-12 08:24 PM

I claimed in the above post that unlike Brian's X10, I couldn't get my LCD to turn off even with AF-S, in the PSAM modes. But, I just tried it again, and my camera appears to work like Brian's, and I can get the LCD to turn off using AF-S, but not AF-C, except in EXR mode. So, maybe I didn't have the little switch completely over to AF-S when I tried it before.

I called Fuji's help desk, and they said that's just the way the camera works, without giving an explanation of why it is designed that way. Just a quirk in the camera, I suppose. The person I talked with didn't seem to know any of this, by the way. She just picked up an X10 she had and confirmed that her's worked the way mine was working. She went to get another guy to see if he could figure out a way to shut the LCD off in AF-C, but he couldn't.

Following up with Olivier's issue, I turned the sound off as soon as I started up my camera, but never tried the flash. (I don't often use flash.) But yes, I see that turning off the sound disables the flash. Why?

It does seem to me that I should be able to turn the LCD off whenever I want, regardless of what mode I'm in, and that I should be able to use the flash in silent mode if I want to. These seem like odd software design choices to me. If the hardware will do it, why should the software stop you?

I'm carping about my new camera, but generally I like the feel of it, I like the size (I got it because I wanted something smaller than my DSLR), and the image quality looked good in my first 197 photos. I remember how many I took, because that's when my battery died, leaving me with a dead camera when I wanted to take more photos of a beautiful sunset. I'm hoping after the battery goes through a few cycles I'll get more shots from it.

I'm anticipating I'll find the camera a good one when I want something smaller than a DSLR. There are some places I wouldn't even take a DSLR, because it's too conspicuous, that I would take an X10. But it certainly doesn't look like a substitute for a DSLR. (And, I didn't expect it to be.)

Randy

A general, generic topic Question about the Fuji X10 [View all] , Floridian Silver Member , Wed 19-Sep-12 07:18 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Question about the Fuji X10