Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

X10 - getting used to EXR Auto

olivierrychner

Boudry, CH
5265 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: X10 - getting used to EXR Auto"

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005
Thu 13-Sep-12 12:33 PM

Thanks all for your interest in my snapshot (on the way to morning coffee after dropping the kids at school) and its circumstances!

To Randy: as a D70 graduate, I am accustomed to what I can do with "only" 6MP (the quotes in my original post were there! ) - it's just that it's only half of what one could get out of the machine! I am not disappointed in any way... I even have A3+ prints from files out of a CoolPix 5400!

To Roger: it seems that your tag line about "ISO, shutterspeed and shutterspeed" is about to be obsolete I went back to the file, and I could find nothing more about the technical aspects of it. I do remember setting the camera to EXR, choosing "EXR auto" in the menu", and that's about it. I adjusted and shot, and in post I just made it a bit straighter than it was, just a rotation with crop in LR. I also noticed the cyan fuji-like sky, but it did not disturb me until you mentioned it. My latitude for adjustment is narrow, though, with just a jpeg file, so I'll accept it as it is and will also think of Fuji films - funnily, I remember preferring Kodak print emulsions because I found them to be warmer, and now I shoot a Fuji camera

Actually, the only situation(s) when I really don't shoot in EXR mode is/are at night. I prefer shooting at base or low ISO on a tripod. That linked shot was taken before I had the sensor replaced and strangely does not have orbs that are too visible - they have adopted the shape of the streetlamps of Venice! I don't have an exif reader at work, but I'm pretty sure it was not taken in any of the EXR modes, because I had tried them and had noticed that the X10 always does its best to allow handheld shooting, and so climbs the ISO ladder pretty quickly to gain speed!

Finally, I must confess that I am not really interested in examining every possible cross-aspect of DR vs ISO vs aperture and so forth... and I am also not as disappointed as some by the problems with raw files. I do shoot raw files too, and I do develop them in LR3.6 much to my satisfaction, with of course a much shorter DR than what I get from my D700. The X10 I use for what it is: a compact, no-brainer camera that I can have in my backpack without ill-effects on my spine, or even in a (large) coat pocket!

Hope this helps!

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

This is a hot, active topic! X10 - getting used to EXR Auto [View all] , olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. , Wed 12-Sep-12 05:34 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: X10 - getting used to EXR Auto