Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Fuji X10 or Sony RX100?

Captain Rich

Savannah, US
1279 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Fuji X10 or Sony RX100?"

Captain Rich Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Thu 23-Aug-12 09:12 AM

Roger,

I hadn't seen Thom's comments when I wrote, but have now reviewed them. He really savaged Nikon, didn't he? Personally I think he was a little harsh on them about sensor size, but the desire for a larger sensor is understood. I think the compacts have made incredible strides with the tiny little sensors. That said, I tried a micro 4/3 last year and just sold it. Image quality was excellent, but it still felt like a point & shoot. If you don't spring for a $250 EVF, you're still stuck with focusing at arms length - in the bright sun. To me, that is a major issue. Like you, I began photographic life on 35mm RF's (Nikon S2 and years later an M3). It seems very natural to look through "something", whether it's a viewfinder or pentaprism, to focus and compose. It's also more stable. As shaky as I seem these days, that also counts. I don't object to an accessory viewfinder, but didn't want to go whole hog spending money to build a whole new interchangeable lens system.

I also thought Thom was underwhelmed by the lens, as only a little faster than the Sony at the long end. But 200 f/4? I'd love to have that 28-200 f/2~4 zoom for my D700! On second thought, maybe I wouldn't. I expect it would weigh a ton and cost a bloody fortune.

No, I like a compact as a backup camera on vacation, and for casual family photos. I took my LX3 to Egypt and Italy in 2010 as a backup, and some of my better photos came from it. Unfortunately, mine developed a terminal disease, and just wouldn't work properly on my Canada cruise last fall. It was replaced by the repair company with a refurb unit, which seems fine, though. But I would like a camera with better high ISO capability, more zoom, and a viewfinder. I thought the P7700 looked very promising until I got to the part about the viewfinder. No dice.

So, as I said, I think I'm going to wait and see what else comes onto the market. Maybe the Fuji X20 or even the Coolpix P8000 will be what I want in a compact camera. Oh well.

Rich

A general, generic topic Fuji X10 or Sony RX100? [View all] , Drbee Silver Member , Wed 22-Aug-12 10:20 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Fuji X10 or Sony RX100?