Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Fuji X10 or Sony RX100?

Drbee

Naperville, US
5927 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"Fuji X10 or Sony RX100?"

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004
Thu 23-Aug-12 12:20 AM

The plan is to get a replacement for my LX3 in the next couple of days to prepare for a trip to Turkey. This camera will supplement my Fuji X100. I'll be carrying the X100 and my wife the other. Right now we like the LX3 but it's IQ in low light is a bit dated and the zoom range is limited. One drawback on the LX3 is the difficulty in using the rear LCD for framing in bright sun light.

My plan has been to get the X10 since it shares some feature and ergonomics with the X100. That plan was shaken up a bit on a recent trip to my camera dealer where they had just received their first RX100. After a bit of handling, the battery went flat so I wasn't able to leave with any trial images. I was impressed with the low-light samples that I saw. There are strong contrasts between the cameras, but everything I read points to a superior IQ from the RX100. A larger sensor, more pixels (which aren't too high on my list), nice jpgs, better manual focusing, a LCD screen that can be seen in bright light. The latter makes up for the loss of the X10 optical finder.

After a lot of evaluation I think I have I boiled down to
o) IQ: +RX100 (MaxISO, Sensor Size)
o) Compactness: +RX100
o) Street Handling: +X10 (Optical VF, Grip)
o) Familiarity: +X10
o) Keeping up with the curve: +RX100
o) Max aperture on tele end: +X10 (+3EV OS?)

So for my kind of shooting, the X10 ergonomics really come out on top, but when standing up against the X100 IQ, I think the RX100 has a better chance.

Drat I hate these kinds of tradeoffs. My heart tells me the X10, but I can't ignore the geek in me.

Your comments and laughter are much appreciated .

Roger
It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Fuji X10 or Sony RX100? [View all] , Drbee Silver Member , Wed 22-Aug-12 10:20 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Fuji X10 or Sony RX100?