Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon P7100 or Fuji X10

blw

Richmond, US
28713 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: Nikon P7100 or Fuji X10"

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Mon 20-Aug-12 04:56 PM | edited Mon 20-Aug-12 05:00 PM by blw

This thing has a tiny little sensor, so it's pretty sensitive to noise and also doesn't tolerate sharpening as well as I'm accustomed. (In general I think that the smaller the pixels, the less the tolerance to sharpening. This is definitely one way to distinguish, say, FX from DX without even looking at the metadata.)

Here's an ISO 3200 shot, captured raw, cropped to extract and exported out of CS5:

Click on image to view larger version

Pretty bad, right? Here's the file as processed in LR4 with a little touchup, notably including both some noise reduction and some sharpening:

Click on image to view larger version

It's probably a bit more presentable here than if I printed it at a moderate size (say, 16x20 or less - it is 12mp). I think this is pretty reasonable, especially given the alternative. Sure my D3 does a whale of a better job in this circumstance, but... it was 300 miles away, at home.

Come to think of it, this could be better - I think there's a feature that allows it to shoot at reduced resolution so that it can do some inherent noise reduction. I think it yields a 6mp image instead of 12mp, but if I really need to make a big print, I am very likely to have hauled around the Nikons anyway...

----

Edit: by the way, I think that the new sensor does a better job of this kind of thing. The contrast is way down here, and my not-very-well-grounded opinion is that the new one has better DR. (Or perhaps the new one has its EXR thingie set differently...) This image is from the original camera, which had a terrible auto white balance implementation. (And note that the AWB here is in a difficult situation, with three types of lighting pretty obviously visible in the frame.)
Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

A general, generic topic Nikon P7100 or Fuji X10 [View all] , Captain Rich Silver Member , Wed 15-Aug-12 12:40 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon P7100 or Fuji X10