Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon P7100 or Fuji X10

Captain Rich

Savannah, US
1279 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Nikon P7100 or Fuji X10"

Captain Rich Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Fri 17-Aug-12 04:15 PM

Thanks Brian,

You guys have me about convinced. The only issue for me is workflow. I've tried LR and just didn't care for it. With the LX3, I was using PM as my ingest and browser software, but then had to go to Photoshop or something to do raw conversions. I'll admit I'm intrigued by Olivier's experience of shooting jpegs with the x10. That would certainly simplify workflow, but I seem to have a unique ability to find problem light sources (mostly after dark) in my travels, which is solved by shooting raw. Although I'm used to using different raw converters for the Nikon and the P&S, it's still a mild irritation. Maybe I should just live with it, since my P&S shooting is a small proportion of my total take on a major trip.

One thing I've always liked about Nikon cameras is their ergonomics and comfortable "hand feel". Any comments in that regard? The other frustration I find is learning a totally different way of accessing menu items with non-Nikon cameras. I still don't use the LX3 as effectively as I should, for that reason. What is second nature on a Nikon, I have to work my old brain fairly hard sometimes to shoot a different brand. That's a major reason I'm selling my Olympus u4/3 camera. The menus just seemed so convoluted that it wasn't a useful tool - for me. I know I'm stuck in my ways, but this is a significant issue for me.

As an example, I went out this morning with a friend who had just bought a new Nikon Coolpix 9300 to take on a trip to Yellowstone. She's not very photographically handy, so I volunteered to teach her a little. Well, the Nikon user manual for the camera was almost non-existent, but I was able to quickly figure out how to do many of the camera setup/use items since the menus followed Nikon logic fairly consistently. She came away with a reasonably good knowledge of how to use many of the modes she'll want to use on her trip. It's not a camera I would buy for myself, but it was fairly competent.

Each manufacturer seems to have its own logic for how to do things. I'm used to Nikon, but that doesn't make other systems bad. Just not as useful - again, for me. This is a long way around asking the question of how well you like the menu structure of the Fuji. It looks like a marvelous machine, but I don't have a place here to go put my hands on one to see how it operates, how it feels. Does any of this make sense? Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Rich

A general, generic topic Nikon P7100 or Fuji X10 [View all] , Captain Rich Silver Member , Wed 15-Aug-12 12:40 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon P7100 or Fuji X10