Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon P7100 or Fuji X10

olivierrychner

Boudry, CH
5255 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Nikon P7100 or Fuji X10"

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005
Thu 16-Aug-12 08:12 PM

Hi Rich!

For reasons unknown, I have always been partial against high-end Nikon compacts. Nothing objective in there, I reckon, but I have always preferred using other brands - "always" here is of course to be taken "since I got started on serious imaging", since I'm not 40 yet, and have used compacts for a bit over five years

Like you, I was a LX3 user. I still am, FWIW, since the cam is sitting in my car at the present time, and I still have the "tube" and polarizing filter going with it. But I like being able to climb up the ISO ladder in a pinch and come with more than just a salvage photo. Since I didn't want a Nikon for the absolutely subjective reason here above, I got the X10. I sort of managed to avoid also getting the X100 before that and I did relatively easily resist buying the X-Pro 1 when it came out, but to me, and again it's not at all based on facts, the X10 is THE compact camera to have. Especially if you can get one with the new sensor or can get Fuji to exchange it, because of the orb problem. Mine was plagued with it, and I got it back from its little outing to Fuji Britain with a new sensor (some seem to have had their camera simply exchanged instead, I have read here on the dedicated threads). The orbs have almost disappeared, and the remant of them is not too bad and occurs only with really high-contrast situations such as streetlights against darkness. But at least the reminiscence of the orbs is now star-shaped!

The only tiny drawback is that I have lost four millimeters of focal length at the wide end, 28 instead of 24, but all the rest is better. And what I tend to discover is that I can safely let it produce .jpg files on its own, it is more intelligent than the combination of yours truly, LR3.6 and raw files (contrary to my still very much straight-out-of-the-box D700, which would have to be tweaked to quite an extent to produce the .jpg files as I like to make them from the .nef). I do shoot raw in low light, though (jpeg plus raw usually), and even then it makes great things. I have used it in dark streets at ISO 3200! In a pinch, it's a camera everyone can use, including the expert, which is a reversal from the usual.

As a side note, let me add that I was already a Lightroom convert before I got it, so I have been able to centralize the raw processing. Actually, the LX3 was partly responsible for my getting LR, since it also manages its raw files. I have made a book of images from a trip to Venice mixing LX3 and D300 images, and there are no visible differences!

But of course all of the above is a bit one-sided, since I have never even tried a P7100. I did try the 6000 back when it came out, though, but preferred getting a LX3 in the end...

Hope this helps!

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

A general, generic topic Nikon P7100 or Fuji X10 [View all] , Captain Rich Silver Member , Wed 15-Aug-12 12:40 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon P7100 or Fuji X10