Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Sony Nex 7, the D800 of compact DSLRs

jpFoto

US
1114 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Sony Nex 7, the D800 of compact DSLRs"

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010
Fri 27-Apr-12 10:56 PM | edited Fri 27-Apr-12 11:04 PM by jpFoto

John and Jeff

The NEX 7 is a great camera if you are shooting in daylight. The resolution is absolutely phenomenal but the low light results were just too much for me to deal with, as were the menu problems. The manual consists of 210 pages. I really wanted to like that camera, and I did to a certain extent. I was on the east coast shooting a Baptism for my daughter/grand-daughter and felt the need to put the camera in P mode because the menus were so complicated that I just gave up the need for control and recognized the need to satisfy the client, not that she would sue me. My shoot was very good and the client is happy, but I would have done a better job if I had brought the D3s.

Since John has the D700 and I had one for 2 years, he recognizes what a truly revolutionary camera that it is. Once you see the images from that camera or the D3 or D3s, it's hard to accept anything that is a compromise. I also had the D3100 which I recently sold to a fellow Nikonian, and it was also a great camera. I think that I am going to give up the ship on other manufacturer's cameras and just stay with Nikon. The new Oly OM-D sounds like a great 4/3 camera and there are certainly enough lenses to choose from, so for someone who is not entrenched in the system of another manufacturer it probably will work out just fine. But, I have all of the good Nikon glass and although it is certainly not lightweight equipment, at least I can use it with all of the features on another Nikon camera such as the D3200. For me the Nikon D3200 makes more sense even if I have to buy a DX lens or two. The difference in size and weight between the new Oly and D3200 are negligible.

The Oly's dimensions are: 4.8 x 3.5 x 1.7 and weighs 15 oz.
The D3200 dimensions are: 5.0 x 3.8 x 3.1 and weighs 16 oz

I know Nikons. I understand their menus. And, all of my lenses, except a few old ones that I seldom use, will work just fine.

I still enjoy hearing about all of your experiences with the "new breed" and one of these days there's really going to be a big hit. For your sake, I hope that it's the OM-D.

jP

This is a hot, active topic! Sony Nex 7, the D800 of compact DSLRs [View all] , jpFoto , Wed 18-Apr-12 09:11 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Sony Nex 7, the D800 of compact DSLRs