Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Sony Nex 7, the D800 of compact DSLRs

jpFoto

US
1114 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Sony Nex 7, the D800 of compact DSLRs"

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010
Fri 27-Apr-12 12:07 AM | edited Fri 27-Apr-12 12:42 PM by jpFoto

After a week with the NEX 7, I have to say that it is a very nice camera, but it's going back tomorrow for the following reasons:

1. High ISO images are very noisy. I compared images from both my D3s and my D2xs, and even the D2xs does a better job.

2. The menus are extremely complex. I have spent hours reading the manual and going back and forth between the manual and the camera to make things work

3. There is no reason for me to get a new system. I paid $600 for the 18-200 zoom lens which was a deal since it sells for about $900. I think that the Nikkor 18-200 DX would be about the same price and although I don't currently own any DX lenses, if I bought the new D3200 and the Nikkor lens that I would be better off in the long run.

4. I like to use Auto ISO, but the NEX doesn't have a menu item for minimum shutter speed. I think that that is important, and I would be reluctant to use Auto ISO without that feature. Auto ISO on the NEX also has a fixed range of from 100 to 1600 with no opportunity to adjust or fine tune those settings.

5. After a week of using this camera I forgot my automatic responses while I use my D3s and my D2xs, but I will recover quickly.

6. The D3200 looks like it might blow this one out of the water in the high ISO department, and it won't take me very long to learn the routine and set it up. Granted, it's a couple of ounces heavier, but if necessary I will just have to work out a little bit more so that I can either tote the D3200, or even the D3s if necessary, but the NEX is not going on vacation.

jP

Edit: Relative to the noise at higher ISO settings, I was not implying that the D2xs images were better, because they are not. I was referring to my observation that the NEX images were blotched as opposed to smooth and granular. There is no question that the NEX images have much higher resolution and the images can probably be cleaned up in PP so that they are useable, but I don't want to work that hard.

This is a hot, active topic! Sony Nex 7, the D800 of compact DSLRs [View all] , jpFoto , Wed 18-Apr-12 09:11 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Sony Nex 7, the D800 of compact DSLRs