Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Sony Nex 7, the D800 of compact DSLRs

jpFoto

US
1114 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Sony Nex 7, the D800 of compact DSLRs"

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010
Thu 19-Apr-12 11:21 PM | edited Thu 19-Apr-12 11:28 PM by jpFoto

Hi Randy

I totally agree with your analysis, and that's been my mantra for a long time.

First, the 4/3 sensors and the Nikon 1 sensors are too small. There is no question in my mind that the larger the sensor, the better the image quality. I had the D3100 and liked it a lot, but I don't think that the Oly or the Panny even compare in IQ to the new NEX 7.

Second, although the OM-D may be better than the Nikon 1, it doesn't hold a candle to the NEX 7 and the new sensor. I wasn't going to buy anything that didn't give my D3s a run for the money, and the NEX 7 really does.

I'm sure that we're at the cutting edge of all of this technology and that all of the alternatives are going to improve. I tried the original NEX 5 and hated it at anything above ISO 400, but the new NEX 7 with the new sensor is a totally different animal. I really didn't want to buy a different system, and may even sell the NEX 7 after I return from my trip, but I don't think that I can carry my D3s together with a 70-200 and a few other lenses. I am going to keep testing this thing for a couple more weeks to make sure that I really do like it, but from what I can see, so far, it's definitely a beauty.

As for the D3200, if the NEX 7 doesn't work out, I will definitely buy the D3200. It sounds like an absolutely terrific travel camera. It may even be the best DX camera in the Nikon lineup, to date. Since it just became available today, I didn't consider it, but wouldn't hesitate to buy it if the NEX 7 doesn't work out. I think that it probably has the same sensor as the NEX 7.

jP

This is a hot, active topic! Sony Nex 7, the D800 of compact DSLRs [View all] , jpFoto , Wed 18-Apr-12 09:11 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Sony Nex 7, the D800 of compact DSLRs