Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Sony Nex 7, the D800 of compact DSLRs

Floridian

Tallahassee, Florida, US
2948 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Sony Nex 7, the D800 of compact DSLRs"

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007
Thu 19-Apr-12 08:43 PM

Thanks for the review and sample photos. Obviously, this will be much more portable than your D3s, and a nice alternative for travel. One thing that gives me pause, though, is that with a DX-size sensor the lenses will be nearly as big as DX lenses. (You save some size only because the lenses can be mounted closer to the sensor because you don't need clearance for the mirror.) So, I wonder if you wouldn't do almost as well to get a D3200 and some DX lenses, which would also be compatible with your Nikon cameras. (Actually, this makes more sense for me, because I have a D300, not a D3s.)

A smaller alternative to the Sony would be a M4/3 camera like the new Olympus OM-D, or even a Nikon 1 system (although it looks to me like the OM-D is a better camera than the V1, never having tried either). An even smaller alternative would be something like the Fuji X10. We're getting into point-and-shoot territory there, but it looks like the X10 handles pretty well and the image quality is good.

I enjoyed reading your review and don't disagree with your assessment of the NEX-7, but for people looking for a more portable alternative to a DSLR there are lots of interesting options and it's not clear (to me) what the optimal trade-offs are. It probably varies from one person to another, which is why there are so many tempting alternatives. One of the tempting alternatives is to just get a small Nikon DSLR and DX lenses.

Randy

This is a hot, active topic! Sony Nex 7, the D800 of compact DSLRs [View all] , jpFoto , Wed 18-Apr-12 09:11 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Sony Nex 7, the D800 of compact DSLRs