Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
ChrisPlatt

US
515 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Lytro"

ChrisPlatt Registered since 04th Jun 2011
Wed 25-Jan-12 07:32 PM

Since so many additional sensor photosites in a light field camera have to be devoted to angular resolution - the more angular resolution you want, the more photosites must be dedicated to that task - it seems unlikely to me that the technology will be incorporated into an iPhone in the near future. At a minimum, it may require 6 times as many photosites to maintain equivalent resolution on a given focus plane. Apple would have to give up some of the stunning resolution currently available in the iPhone or find a way to jam a larger sensor in there along with the processor required to manipulate the light field effects - people aren't going to want to pull the images out and manipulate them on their desktop. That opportunity cost between achieving angular resolution and flat field resolution is going to persist even as engineers continue to pack more photosites on sensors. I wouldn't be surprised though to see Apple develop some other innovative product that embraces light field technology.

Visit my gallery.

A general, generic topic Lytro [View all] , chroaz Silver Member , Wed 25-Jan-12 03:17 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Lytro