Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Crop factors and mirrorless question

ChrisPlatt

US
515 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Crop factors and mirrorless question"

ChrisPlatt Registered since 04th Jun 2011
Wed 01-Feb-12 08:13 PM

I'm not sure the discussion has touched on the reason people are making that claim about rangefinder and/or mirrorless cameras. Those discussions all seem to address the retrofocus lens design necessary to get wide angle effects on an SLR. A retrofocus design being necessary because the rear element of a wideangle lens without the retrofocus group would be too close to the film plane/sensor and interfere with the operation of the mirror. The claim is that the retrofocus design introduces more barrel distortion. However, I expect modern lens designs have done a good job incorporating additional lens groups to counter that barrel distortion.

I really have no idea whether these claims are valid or were ever valid. Certainly, if you can eliminate the retrofocus group and any additional elements necessary to counter barrel distortion, the lens can be smaller/lighter, but would that really give them any advantage over a well designed (albeit much larger) DSLR wideangle lens with respect to barrel distortion?

Visit my gallery.

A topic tagged as having a question Crop factors and mirrorless question [View all] , dasbose , Tue 17-Jan-12 07:57 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Crop factors and mirrorless question