No I didn't know about the SAB problem, I'm not sure it had started to surface enough to be characterized as a "problem". I had a devil of a time trying to buy a X100 and finally after three failed attempts at three other vendors, managed to find one at Samy's in LA. I ended up getting the last one of their shipment and they overnighted it to me so I could take it on a practice trip before an important personal trip to Italy. However, the overnight process failed the first time and I received it via FedEx hours before leaving town on the "practice trip".
The first 1500 images were fantastic. Then I began to notice some erratic behavior when I was trying to "expose to the right". I just couldn't pin down the problem, all the Exif data was appropriate, pre-exposure histogram was appropriate but the resultant exposure couldn't be reliably controlled and when it "failed" the images was way overexposed. Since so much of my photography was in low-light and the camera has a bias toward f/2 exposures, it took me a while to tumble that it was a mechanical problem. The erratic behavior and f/2 bias just played in the right direction to make me believe that it wasn't anything systematic. Finally after the erratic behavior became permanent, it was easy to detect in a simple exposure progression.
The hard failure came at about 2200-2600 exposures; right at the tail end of my Italy trip. With use of some judicious exposure fiddling I was able to constrain many of my remaining images to f/2. I did have a LX3 as a backup and that proved adequate for getting us home.