Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

X100, Sony NEX5N or something else...

Drbee

Naperville, US
5927 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: X100, Sony NEX5N or something else..."

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004
Tue 17-Jan-12 01:29 AM

Hi Don,

I do like my X100 and I've learned to manage most of it's eccentricities. My sample did have the sticky aperture blades. It was just returned from Fuji repair a few days ago and is working very well. The focus issues get a lot of attention because the Fuji doesn't use a typical DSLR focus detection. The system is more sensitive to surfaces rather than contrast edges, so picking the focus target is just different. Some of the focus problems can be circumvented by using the AF-C rather than AF-S. It's a work-around (or else just way-out counter intuitive) but in some situations works quite well. These are problems/quirks where re-education of the user is necessary. Other focus frustrations have to do with the implementation of manual focus. However, I've found that manual focus can be utilized with an AF assist to initially set the region of focus and then fine-tune with MF. If the user is trying MF as an alternative to AF (because of lack of skill with AF), IMO it's better to figure out the AF use than introduce MF.

The images are IMO worth this re-training. However, know that in the first stages there will be missed shots. Sometimes just using it as a P&S can be very rewarding and trying to throw all your photographic knowledge at a problem can come up short. It's not a $2500 DSLR replacement.

I like to use mine for street/travel. If I think of all the missed/botched images that I got when using film rangefinders, this camera beats those success rates by a considerable degree. Even with my Leica M6, I could fail at focus in low-light.

Best Regards,
Roger

This is a hot, active topic! X100, Sony NEX5N or something else... [View all] , William Symonds , Sat 26-Nov-11 12:17 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Sony NEX5N or something else...
Reply message RE: X100, Sony NEX5N or something else...