Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What do you guys think of the new iPhone 4S camera?

snegron

Cape Coral, Florida, US
1698 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: What do you guys think of the new iPhone 4S camera?"

snegron Silver Member Nikonian since 05th May 2007
Fri 07-Oct-11 02:19 AM | edited Fri 07-Oct-11 02:27 AM by snegron

JP;

Please re-read my post carefully. As you indicate (quoting me), I still own my D200. Not a D300. Not a D300s. Not a D700. Not a D7000. Simply, a D200 (and a D1X). Those DSLR's still work for me and I have had no need to upgrade, however, that is a totally different issue.

Yes, I do use and enjoy my Lumix point and shoots. They offer much higher IQ than any other point and shoots on the market today in just about every category. One thing all my point and shoots have in common? They are all cameras. Not cell phones. Not portable internet search devices. Simply cameras.

Am I in a constant quest to get the perfect travel camera? Yes. I would love a digital rangefinder, but I can't afford a Leica M9. So, I have no choice but to look for the next best thing; a mirror-less, interchangeable lens camera. I researched this type of camera system and ended up purchasing an Olympus E-PL2. It turned out to be defective, so I returned it.

Would I prefer to carry a lighter camera than my D200 on Disney trips? Sure. Keyword here is "camera", not cell phone. Would I be happy if my Lumix TS3 could capture images anywhere near what I get with my D200? Of course! Who wouldn't? The reality is that it is a rugged camera that can do something my DSLR's can't; capture images under water without any special housing.

In the end, I use my cameras (DSLR's or point and shoots) to enhance my photography experience, not to simply satisfy my snapshot needs. Back in the old film days many of us carried our SLR's and a point and shoot or lighter camera as back up. I don't see how I have changed my old ways. I had no choice when it came to giving up film as labs in my area for the most part vanished, and online developing is too expensive and inconvenient.

Am I "flip-flopping"? I don't think so. Again, my cameras are cameras. Regardless of the weight difference between my LX3 and my D1X, they share something in common; they are both cameras that offer high image quality and offer me total control over the image capture process. Also, I will never get an annoying telemarketing call on my LX3, TS3, D1X or D200.

A general, generic topic What do you guys think of the new iPhone 4S camera? [View all] , darklide , Wed 05-Oct-11 12:30 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: What do you guys think of the new iPhone 4S camera?
Reply message RE: My first image out of the box ...