Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Why use a copy stand?

nrothschild

US
10916 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Why use a copy stand? "

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004
Thu 28-Feb-13 08:44 PM | edited Thu 28-Feb-13 08:51 PM by nrothschild

A copy stand...

- avoids the problem of the legs getting into the field of view.

- Is usually easier to move up and down. If you raise a center column to do that, then the legs interfere even more

- Besides getting into the field of view, leg angle locks don't allow precise height control, a further twist on the above two items

- The footprint of the splayed legs of a tripod can require a lot of table space, depending on the leg angle lock used.

- at least in the normal leg lock position, the tripod is not its most stable when the head is tilted down 90 degrees, with the camera hanging very off center.

- the multiple light arrangements of some copy stands can make life much easier, especially when lighting large paper documents. Trying to get even light spread over a document, especially one larger than 8x10 or so, can be very frustrating. Smaller subjects are easier to deal with.

One solution to the height problem is something like the Kirk or RRS long rails, allowing a lot of vertical position adjustments. But those bars alone can cost more than a good used copy stand.

I may have missed a few; the above is just off the top of my head, thinking about trying this with a tripod.

If you just have occasional needs, a tripod may work, and I have tried it just in the interest of science even though I have a fairly decent copy stand.

Once you have tried a tripod, you will quickly find out if the points above are a problem for you with your specific shooting subjects, subject size and distance requirements. Then you know the solution.

my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Why use a copy stand? [View all] , guyparker Silver Member , Thu 28-Feb-13 05:17 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Why use a copy stand?