Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Tabletop tripods and the next size up

Replytoken

Seattle, US
1227 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Tabletop tripods and the next size up"

Replytoken Registered since 08th Mar 2008
Sat 09-Feb-13 06:11 AM

Neil,

Thanks for the additional information. As expected, all of the comments, as well as a few minutes of playing with a cheap $15 promo tripod (which happened to carry the name of a major camera company beginning with "N" ), have caused me to reconsider things. As I have a reasonably compact Series-3 Systematic with a really nice ball head, perhaps I was a bit too quick to dismiss some of my tabletop options. I am not completely ruling out the compact tripods, but Gitzo does not make exactly what I want (a combination of features from the 3320 and the 531), and I am not sure how well some of the more affordable models will perform.

So, I am now considering the Leica table top, Kirk's table top, and one of the two Berlebach compact tripods. I would love to put a Markins Q3 on any of these, but the more frugal side of me says that a RRS BH-25 is about my top end. If budget was not much of a consideration, I could see a case for owning two out of the three of these in addition to my bigger Gitzo. But, budget is a big decision, so I am going to mull my options over before spending any funds.

I had initially hoped for more affordable quality solutions since the height and load factors were less than a DSLR with long lenses, but I can understand that compact does not always equate with more affordable. As my contractor informed me after completing a bathroom remodel a few years ago, a closet has the same amount of corners and walls as a room. It may use less wall board, but it requires almost the same amount of labor to construct. It was a costly lesson to say the least.

A general, generic topic Tabletop tripods and the next size up [View all] , Replytoken , Fri 08-Feb-13 01:26 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Tabletop tripods and the next size up