Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Tabletop tripods and the next size up

nrothschild

US
10916 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Tabletop tripods and the next size up"

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004
Fri 08-Feb-13 06:42 PM

I've seen and handled a Gitzo "0" series, but it was a few years ago now. Not use now exactly which model.

My impression was that it was a marvel in engineering, in that it was built to the same standards as your Series 3, only smaller. And I am sure that is why it is so relatively expensive.

I figured it would do as good a job as any 20mm legs could do. And that was before the big emphasis now on high end mirror-less cameras. My sense was that it was a strange solution in search of a problem but it would make for a very nice table top tripod with perhaps only one additional section extended. And that would be for a modest DSLR.

I thought one of the nice features is that it is only a 3 section, where many others try to be all things to all people and go to 4 or 5 sections to arrive at a max height spec that is unusable due to the instability of those necessarily tiny lower sections. I can't say I would ever use the GT-531 fully extended, even with a mirrorless camera.

I think it is a marvel because most other "table top" tripods I've seen are built to a price point in the opposite extreme. And that makes for a bad combination.

Kirk makes a "Mighty Low Boy", which is basically a cut-down "Manfrotto 190" (actually the predecessor). RRS came out with their own version of that, but at a higher price point. I think RRS no longer makes their version?

I never really understood why I would want one of those, rather than use a Gitzo Series 2, or something similar. I would really need the more compact and perhaps lighter weight. The main advantage (for me) of an ~12" long folded length is the ability to shoot low without a lot of leg spread out, which is often a problem on a real table top (unless it is a rather large table).

I'm seeing the same thing you - this is a rather niche market. Both RRS and Kirk have since introduced true tiny tabletop models, obviously intended for mirror-less cameras.

If I were going for the ultimate tabletop I guess I would bite the bullet and get the Gitzo. Only because then I know what I would be getting and know that that very difficult engineering problem was implemented with quality parts. But it is a market I don't search very often because I've never had a pressing need for that. When I want small I just use my old Gitzo Series 2.

Wistful thinking... many years ago, around when the G-Lock/6X tripods were introduced, someone blew out a bunch of the older Series 1's, probably G1227 or G1228, for $75 a pop. Or maybe it was the "0" series - it's been many years now. I always regretted not going for that, even though I had no pressing need. Any Gitzo CF for under $100... hehe.

my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Tabletop tripods and the next size up [View all] , Replytoken , Fri 08-Feb-13 01:26 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Tabletop tripods and the next size up