Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Tabletop tripods and the next size up

Replytoken

Seattle, US
1227 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Tabletop tripods and the next size up"

Replytoken Registered since 08th Mar 2008
Fri 08-Feb-13 05:27 AM

>I think you need to specify the specific maximum height you
>are looking for.
>
>The Sirui you mention has an 11" folded length, 5
>sections, and an upper leg diameter of 22mm.

Hi Neil,

I believe that the maximum height would probably be no more than 12 or so inches. The problem I have with tabletop tripods is that the camera is usually only raised a couple of inches. For instance, when trying to take macro photos of flowers in a small vase indoors or flowers in my wife's garden, I would imagine that most tabletop tripods would offer too little height. With a compact tripod that offers about a foot or so of height with its legs fully retracted, one still has a bit of downward vertical flexibility by splaying the legs.

I would concur that in the outdoors, wind is a significant concern, and I am not sure how any of these units would hold up. Perhaps what I am looking for is a modern version of Gitzo's G0011/12? It appears stable, is reasonably small and light, yet it offers a bit more height than a tabletop tripod. The current GT-531 just does not seem like a replacement for it. I would consider Kirk's Mighty Low Boy, but it is just a bit larger and heavier than I had hoped for. Were the G0011/12's what I am searching for, and what would be their modern counterparts?

--Ken

A general, generic topic Tabletop tripods and the next size up [View all] , Replytoken , Fri 08-Feb-13 01:26 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Tabletop tripods and the next size up