Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Tabletop tripods and the next size up

nrothschild

US
10916 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Tabletop tripods and the next size up"

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004
Fri 08-Feb-13 04:00 AM

>> But, none seem to offer much in the way of a little bit of height

I think you need to specify the specific maximum height you are looking for.

The Sirui you mention has an 11" folded length, 5 sections, and an upper leg diameter of 22mm.

In order extend it only a modest amount you are surely down to some very skinny legs. It is difficult to even speculate on the diameter of the lowest legs but I have seen similar tripods in big box stores. Fully extended they literally wave about, for quite some time, with just a slight push on the mount. The bottom legs are literally pencil thin, or likely thinner.

I would also do some research on the inner leg diameters in order to get some sense of the stability (or lack of).

Yes, you will not have to deal with a mirror, which affects every shot. But you should consider the conditions you will shoot in- especially wind, and the shutter speeds.

I have never seen a Sirui tripod so I have no specific opinions on them. I do know that I have never seen a $130 CF tripod that I would use- for anything - certainly not well extended. And I have seen a few, usually in big box stores like Best Buy.

my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Tabletop tripods and the next size up [View all] , Replytoken , Fri 08-Feb-13 01:26 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Tabletop tripods and the next size up