Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
labtrout

Bristol, US
1925 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Ballhead advice"

labtrout Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his constant sharing of his skills and continuous comments of encouragement in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 09th Aug 2011
Fri 18-Jan-13 08:56 PM

Dan,

I certainly don't qualify as an expert on ballheads, but after doing quite a bit of research and playing with several different brands at B&H in NYC, I recently bought an Induro and I really like it.

For the use you described, you might want to take a look at the BHL1 or BHL2 models. I also do a lot of hiking and shoot with a D7000. My longest lens is an older Nikkor 400mm f5.6, which is not very heavy for that length lens. So for me the BHL1 was ideal. For $180, it's very solid, easy to adjust and not overly heavy at about 1 lb. It has an Arca-Style double-locking quick release and included a camera plate that I mounted to the lens. I bought a second plate for the camera body as well. Induro states the BHL1 can handle up to 44 pounds. The BHL2 is rated for up to 66 pounds and costs $270.

Just another opinion for you to consider.

A topic tagged as having a question Ballhead advice [View all] , danmacinSD , Fri 18-Jan-13 04:24 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Ballhead advice