Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
nrothschild

US
10916 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Monopod?"

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004
Mon 14-Jan-13 07:37 PM

Most experienced monopod users report a benefit of about 2 stops or so using a monopod, verses hand held, and that is my experience.

If you use the 1/FL rule of thumb as a starting point, a 24mm lens would be good down to about 1/25s. A monopod might get you down to 1/6s.

That is a long way from 1s. It suggests thaty 1/8s is reasonable, given good technique. You have to meet or beat the averages.

The 1/FL rule of thumb is based on viewing an 8x12 uncropped print at about arms length. It is not applicable to a critical "enlarged" (zoomed in) inspection of a high res digital image. SO keep that in mind. At best the results likely will not equal a tripod, by any stretch although by shooting multiple frames you might get a very sharp "lucky catch".

Executive summary: a qualified maybe down to 1/8s with that lens

We all make those convenience/practical compromises when using a tripod in order to get the sharpest possible image. If I were to acquire a D800 I would figure on doing even more tripod mounted work in order to get all the res I'm paying for, but that is a very controversial subject that is argued here all the time.

my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Monopod? [View all] , Carmen Tulum , Mon 14-Jan-13 11:06 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Monopod?