Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

CF tripod-is it worth it?

nrothschild

US
10916 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: CF tripod-is it worth it?"

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004
Sun 06-Jan-13 02:36 PM | edited Sun 06-Jan-13 02:39 PM by nrothschild

Hi Bill,

I suspect that the differences between alloy and CF are not so obvious you would notice it in a quick inspection in a shop.

In my case I have an 8.4 LB 3 section Alloy Gitzo G1410 Series 4 and a <4lb 4 section CF Series 3 GT3541LS.

The weight and bulk, and leg diameter, especially the lower sections, of the Series 4 is hugely larger than the Series 3. In very careful controlled tests I found no situation where the Series 4 outperformed the Series 3, which I found absolutely amazing.

From that I am of the opinion that the differences should be even larger within the same series but I do not have comparable series alloy and CF to test.

The Series 4 *might* do better in a stiff wind, but adding weight to the CF tripod should nullify all that. I did field test the two tripods (plus an RRS TVC-33) in the field in a very stiff and steady wind with my 500/4 AFS. Even in that case the CF did as well or better than the alloy.

I find this all very counter-intuitive and I do not believe I would have come to the same conclusion by simply comparing in a shop. It took many weeks of well thought out testing to prove this to myself.

I'm not suggesting you are making a mistake by going with an alloy, but simply to try to give you better data to make a decision.

If you want to try to test this yourself, I would bring your camera and longest lens to the shop and then shoot images at about 1/10s shutter speed of the same subject and distance, using both mirror up (or exposure delay more if you don't have a camera supporting Mup) and "S" mode (no exposure delay, using a remote. That is the basis of my own controlled testing. Any finely detailed target, such as a newspaper taped to a wall, will do.

my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! CF tripod-is it worth it? [View all] , LightMeter Silver Member , Sat 05-Jan-13 04:51 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: CF tripod-is it worth it?