Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Camera Support for Overhead Shots

nrothschild

US
10916 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Camera Support for Overhead Shots"

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004
Sun 09-Dec-12 03:52 PM

Hi Fred,

Much of that instability when using a horizontal bar is basic physics so you will have the same problem, - to some degree.

There are two possible sources of instability...

1. Vibration from the cantilevered arm
2. Instability due to the tripod being off center (center of gravity shift).

Some weight hung from the back end of the bar will help with #2 but not #1. Have you tried that?

I have a copy stand and use wider angle lenses when I need a relatively large field of view. Or point the lens straight down from my Gitzos. I find it difficult to answer your question since it depends on subject size, camera/lens and expectations. I doubt there are any silver bullets here.

In general, though, the beefier the tripod the more you can push these envelopes. Depends how much money you want to throw at the problem. You can also add things like an RRS camera bar, which is very expensive, but probably somewhat more stable than a typical horizontal arm on your Velbon. Not cheap either, especially after adding all the parts to make it work (might need two heads, for example, plus a clamp).

my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Camera Support for Overhead Shots [View all] , wdcrvr Silver Member , Sun 09-Dec-12 11:39 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Camera Support for Overhead Shots