Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Help with Markins vs. RRS ballhead to use with RRS plat...

rbaskin

Ridgefield, US
381 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Help with Markins vs. RRS ballhead to use with RRS plates"

rbaskin Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2007
Sun 02-Dec-12 11:33 PM

Both heads can be ordered with or without quick release clamps (either knob or lever release).

The Markins lever release clamp can be adjusted to fit the slight differences in camera plate/L-bracket widths, the RRS lever release is designed to work with RRS and Wimberly plates, but I've heard that most Kirk plates work well. A knob adjusted clamp will work with any plate, any time.

Even if you go with the adjustable Markins lever release clamp, it makes sense to stick with one brand of plates as making adjustments in the field takes time and isn't really fun.

I already had a RRS lever release clamp and RRS L-bracket plates so I bought my Markins M10 without a clamp (I like the handling on the Markins better than the RRS 40). A little loctite made for a strong fit and all works perfectly.

My recommendation is to pick your preferred head and clamp, and stick with one brand of plate - just keeps it all simpler.

Ralph in CT

A topic tagged as in need of help Help with Markins vs. RRS ballhead to use with RRS plat... [View all] , ImageWithin , Sun 02-Dec-12 07:40 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Help with Markins vs. RRS ballhead to use with RRS ...