Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Need PRO/EXPERIENCED telephoto bird advice!!

dm1dave

Lowden, US
13751 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Need PRO/EXPERIENCED telephoto bird advice!!"

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006
Fri 23-Nov-12 08:36 PM

I agree with Rick.

I never shoot wildlife hands free with a remote release.

I think you will probably get better results using Long Lens Technique (LLT).

Also keep those shutter speeds up. Even birds that are perched it is best to stay above 1/800s so that you avoid blur due to their quick movements of the head. Birds in flight it is best to be faster than 1/1000s.

What type of birds are you shooting? Are they the size of songbirds or hawks or egrets?

50-100 feet is a long way away at 510mm (your 3oo/f4 + TC17) on an FX body. Even with the D800 I suspect that you are cropping deeper than the DX crop mode if the birds are smaller than a large hawk or an eagle.

>> “...I would like to know what contributes to sharp, distant bird feather detail that I see in the pics some of you have.”
I have found that filling the frame with your subject (or in case of the D800 filling at least the DX crop frame) is the best way to get that great feather detail that you are looking for.

Work on getting closer, using feed or water to attract the birds and shooting from a vehicle or a blind.

Dave Summers
Nikonians Photo Contest Director
My Nikonians Gallery | Current Nikonians Contests

Click on image to view larger version

A topic tagged as having a question Need PRO/EXPERIENCED telephoto bird advice!! [View all] , walk43 , Fri 23-Nov-12 11:47 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Need PRO/EXPERIENCED telephoto bird advice!!