Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
nrothschild

US
10916 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Ball Head"

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004
Tue 13-Nov-12 11:31 AM

An alternate solution is to add a long rail and clamp. This would have the same benefit as a collared lens foot in that it would allow you to balance the lens on the ball head. With this configuration your Q3 would perform very well.

Kirk makes a simple long rail, and Markins makes something similar with added support for the lens nose. I believe RRS also makes something similar to the Kirk long rail and clamp. Just be sure the clamp is oriented properly for this configuration.

Even if you upgrade to an M20 your 18-300 will probably still be more difficult to manage in a sweet spot than most lighter lenses and/or lenses that are shorter and don't extend as much, or collared long lenses. I've never handled the 18-300 but I suspect the heavy front element is quite a bit forward at 300mm, where precision is most needed.

In other words, this is an interesting and helpful solution for any ball head and your lens.

my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Ball Head [View all] , Walli , Thu 08-Nov-12 02:20 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Ball Head