Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Advice on Manfrotto MKC3-P01 Compact Tripod

Ned_L

Philadelphia, US
8049 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Advice on Manfrotto MKC3-P01 Compact Tripod"

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter Member
Tue 30-Oct-12 02:08 AM | edited Tue 30-Oct-12 02:12 AM by Ned_L

Ben, Neil was pretty blunt. You'll probably consider me even more so, but I need to be honest with you.

Save your money. The tripod you've picked hasn't a chance to hold your camera/lens reasonable still in any conditions. You'll get some good images, but not enough to justify the purchase. It's a waste of money to me at any price.

Travel tripods are always compromises, but this one, and others, even at $150, just aren't going to give you very many useable shots, even when using mirror up, and a remote shutter release.

For the camera/lens equipment specified, I'd get at least the Feisol 3441S and put a Markins or Really Right Stuff head on it. Unfortunately that will cost you about $300 for the legs and at least $350 for the head, plus you'll need a camera plate or bracket for another $50 minimum.

I use a Gitzo GK2580TQR which is a series 2 traveler which comes with a head I've removed. It's at a great price now at $583 after rebate, as its update will be available soon. The update will be a bit nicer, and have built-in spiked feet (extra with this leg set) but won't have any noticeable greater capability. I've put a RRS BH40 Head ($390) on mine plus L-Bracket ($120) (cheaper for a camera plate), plus stud to connect head to legs (a few dollars).

Even at those prices, both these tripods + head are still a compromise, but will do very nicely for lenses to 200mm and a bit beyond.

My general feeling about tripods is to start off with one which will actually do the job, and save one's money until one can afford it. Some don't share my philosophy, but this approach has worked for me, once I realized its value. Budget tripods are not manufactured to hold DSLR's with 200mm lenses, or even shorter lenses for that matter. Some may kind of make do with them, but every time someone tries one of my tripods, they understand what I mean.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

(Edited to add stud info.)

A general, generic topic Advice on Manfrotto MKC3-P01 Compact Tripod [View all] , avigar , Mon 29-Oct-12 02:16 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Advice on Manfrotto MKC3-P01 Compact Tripod