Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Advice on Manfrotto MKC3-P01 Compact Tripod

nrothschild

US
10916 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Advice on Manfrotto MKC3-P01 Compact Tripod"

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004
Mon 29-Oct-12 02:23 PM

Hi Ben,

The tripod you picked is, at best, designed for small lightweight mirror-less cameras, not reflex cameras. It has a specified payload rating of 3.2 LBs, which I suspect is quite optimistic.

It isn't really a "specialty travel tripod". It is a tripod built to the lowest possible price point to compete with $50 tripods typically sold in big box stores to unwary consumers. Cheap (in all possible contexts) tends to equal small and lightweight, to minimize costly materials, and, voila!, you have a travel tripod

You list over $12K worth of gear in your profile. You need to spend more than 0.5% of your investment to come up with something usable. I know that sounds harsh but I am trying to reorient your expectations. Even though this is for a D5100, not the D3s listed in your profile, I am assuming you are expecting to get the most out of that camera and lens, just like you presumably do from your D3s.

Good travel tripods are problematic, and expensive when done right. The need or desire for minimal weight leads to Carbon Fiber construction, which puts you into the $300-400 and up class. Gitzo is the Gold Standard, more or less, and commensurate with your D3s and lens investment. Something like a Feisol has made people very happy for about half of Gitzo prices and their customer service record is very good and long established now.

For something less expensive, you might consider the Manfrotto 190 series, either in alloy or CF. I would not use a 190 for general use, especially with your D3s, but for what you specified it is at least reasonably well built, although not as well built as its larger and heavier 055 series brethren. These are "real" Manfrotto tripods, built to a price point, but not the lowest possible price point needed to compete in the unwary consumer market.

my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Advice on Manfrotto MKC3-P01 Compact Tripod [View all] , avigar , Mon 29-Oct-12 02:16 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Advice on Manfrotto MKC3-P01 Compact Tripod