Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

The Importance of a Tripod?

billaquino

Tampa, US
204 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: The Importance of a Tripod?"

billaquino Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2007
Sat 01-Sep-12 11:33 AM

Mike,

I'll try to give you a response from two different perspectives. First, through a telephoto lens, the slightest of movements is accentuated at a distance. Regardless of technique...there is more movement transfered between the photographer and camaera than one might think...there are a number of variables....breathing, pulse...the subject...wind and others. All play a part. Even at 1/500 of a second...enough of the variables togther may compound into enough movement to blur an image. I see this no differently as what a skilled marksman must do to hit a distant target.

The second perspective is completely different....one of taking the time to compose the image you want. For me personally, I tend to "settle" for an image...roughly composed in the haste of capturing the image. That said, i am much more deliberate about everything when using a tripod. I can work with one element at a time...framing, exposure, composition...etc.

So to my answer...it depends on what you're trying to capture. The image you are aiming for may be strengthened by an impulsive mood....where in other images precision is needed. I usually carry a tripod...and when I don't...I usually wish I had one with me. For me it goes back to all the elements I try to put into an image.

So let the debate open....

Bill

Bill Aquino

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A topic tagged as having a question The Importance of a Tripod? [View all] , mdallie Silver Member , Sat 01-Sep-12 09:15 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: The Importance of a Tripod?